Friday, February 10, 2012

The Monkey and Crocodile (Bandar aur magarmach)

  • Story in English - 


There lived a monkey named "Raktamukha" on a blackberry tree near the coast. That tree was always full of fruits. One day a crocodile named Karalamukha came out of the waters and loitering on the sands came to the tree.
Seeing the crocodile, the monkey said, “O crocodile, you are my guest. I will feed you with these delicious blackberries. Enjoy the fare. The learned have said,

“That man is blessed who hosts
A lover or an enemy or a fool.
Angels will desert the home
That fails to host a guest.”

The monkey then gave the crocodile a lot of berries. After he had his fill, the crocodile went home. Thereafter, it became a habit of the crocodile to daily visit Monkey, enjoy the fruit he offered, spend time with him discussing the world and then go home.
One day, the crocodile's wife asked her husband, “Where do you get this fruit, they are so sweet. I have never tasted such mouth-watering fruit.”
“I have a close friend, a monkey, who gives me the fruit every day,” said the husband.
“If the fruit are so sweet, the heart of your friend who eats them everyday must be as delicious as the fruit. Please get his heart for me, if you have love left for me. I will always be young and immortal if I eat that fruit,” said the wife.
Crocodile said - “My dear, it is improper for you to speak like that. I have accepted him as my brother. It is not possible for me to kill such a host".


Angry, the wife said, “You have never defied my word. It must be a female monkey who is your friend. That’s why you are spending so much time with him every day. I have now understood you thoroughly. Your heart is full of that monkey. You are a cheat.”
The Crocodile, wanting to pacify his wife, said, ““My dear, why are you angry? I am your most obedient servant and ready to carry out your order at any time.”
“No, she is dear to you. If you really love me, why don’t you kill her and get me her heart. If you don’t get it, I will fast and die,” threatened the wife.
Worried, the crocodile went to the monkey. Seeing that the crocodile was late for his daily meeting, The Monkey said, “You are late, my friend and do not seem to be cheerful. What’s the matter?”

Crocodile replied - “O my friend, how can I tell you what happened at home. My wife is very angry. She told me that I am an ungrateful friend and that every day I eat the fruit you offer but never had the courtesy of inviting you home. You have no redemption; she told me and warned me that if I did not bring you home, I would see her only in the other world. These arguments with her have delayed me. Please come with me. My wife has decorated the house fit to receive you. She has hung welcome buntings at the entrance. She is eagerly waiting for me to bring you home.”

The monkey said, “Your wife has said the proper thing. You should leave a man who loves you for your wealth like the spider attracts his prey. She might as well have quoted the elders saying,

“There is a problem, however. We are all land animals. You live in water. It may not be possible for me to accept your kind invitation. I advise you to bring her here,” said the monkey.
“It’s really no problem,” said the crocodile. “Our house is on a sandbank. It’s a beautiful place. Sit on my back. I will carry you.”


The monkey happily sat on the back of the crocodile and the journey began. As the crocodile was entering deep waters, the monkey got scared and told the crocodile to go slowly.

Thinking that the monkey was his prisoner now, the crocodile told Monkey, “It is now safe to tell you our plan. My wife wanted me to create trust in you first and persuade you to accept our invitation and then kill you so that we may have the good fortune of feasting on your heart.”

With great presence of mind, the monkey said, “My friend, if this is what you and your wife wanted, why didn’t you tell me in the beginning itself? My heart is safely stored in the burrow of the tree. What is the use of your taking me home without my heart? Let us go back. There is nothing happier for me than giving my heart to your wife.” Happily, the crocodile turned back and brought the monkey to the shore.
The monkey at once leaped to the top of the blackberry tree and thought, “We should not trust an untrustworthy person, even if we did, it should not be total. Such trust will destroy us completely. This is a rebirth for me.”

The crocodile was in a hurry and asked the monkey, “What is the delay? Get you heart. My wife will be very happy.”

The monkey angrily told him, “You idiot, have you seen anyone who has two hearts? You are ungrateful. Get out of my sight and never come this way again."

Moral of the Story- Never trust an Untrustworthy person, even if you did, it should not be total. Such trust can destroy us completely. Even in problem, think coolly to come out of the problem.


 “He overcomes all problems
Who does not lose his cool
Even in the face of adversity
Like the monkey in the water.”   




  •  Story in Hindi - 
एक समय की बात है, एक पेड़ पर एक बन्दर रहता था. वह पेड़ हमेशा फलों से भरा हुआ रहता था. एक दिन, एक मगरमच्छ वहां से गुजरा.

मगरमच्छ को देख केर बन्दर बोला " हे मगर, आप मेरे अतिथि हो . आपको भोजन देना मेरा फ़र्ज़ बनता है . आप यह फल खाएं. ऐसा बोल केर बन्दर ने फल नीचे मगर के पास फैंका.

बन्दर ने मगर को काफी सारे फल खाने को दिये. पेट भरने के बाद, मगर अपने घर वापस आ गया. अब मगरमच्छ, बन्दर के पास प्रतिदिन आने लगा, मज़े से बन्दर के दिये हुए फल खाता, कुछ समय बिताता, बातें करता और फिर घर जाता .

एक दिन, मगरमच्छ की पत्नी ने पूछा, " तुम यह सारे फल कहाँ से लाये हो, यह फल कितने मीठे हैं.

मगरमच्छ बोला, " मेरा एक बहुत ही करीबी दोस्त है, जो मुझे प्रतिदिन फल देता है.
तो मगर की पत्नी बोली, " जब फल इतने मीठे हैं, तो तुम्हारा दोस्त जो इन फलूं को प्रतिदिन खाता है, उसका कलेजा कितना मीठा होगा. अगर तुम मुझसे प्यार करते हो, तो मुझे उसका कलेजा ला केर दो, जिसे खा कर मैं और ताकत वाली बन जाऊंगी .

मगरमच्छ बोला, " प्रिये, यह तुमने गलत बात बोल दिया है . मैं उसको अपने भाई जैसा मानता हूँ. यह बहुत ही गलत होगा की मैं अपने दोस्त को मार दूं.

मगरमच्छ की पत्नी गुस्से मैं बोली, "तुमने मेरी बात मानने से कभी इनकार नहीं किया है. वो जरूर  मादा बन्दर होगी, जो तुम्हारी दोस्त है. इसलिए तुम वहां ज्यादा समय वय्तित करते हो. तुम मुझे धोखा दे रहे हो.

मगरमच्छ अपनी पत्नी को समझाते हुए बोला, " प्रिये, तुम व्यर्थ में नाराज़ हो रही हो. में तुम्हारा आज्ञाकारी हूँ और तुम्हारी इच्छा पूरी करने के लिए हमेशा त्यार रहता हूँ."

" नहीं, वो तुम्हें ज्यादा पसंद है. अगर तुम सही में मुझे प्यार करते हो, तुम उसे मार के उसका कलेजा ला कर दो. नहीं तो मैं कुछ नहीं खाऊंगी" उसकी पत्नी ने कहा.

चिंतित मगरमच्छ बन्दर के पास पहुंचा. जब बन्दर ने देखा की मगरमच्छ देर से पहुंचा है, तो बन्दर बोला, "मेरे दोस्त, आज तुम देर से आये हो, और तुम खुश भी नहीं दीख रहे हो. क्या बात है?

मगरमच्छ बोला - "ये मेरे दोस्त, मैं तुम्हें कैसे बताऊँ मेरे घर मैं क्या हुआ है. मेरी पत्नी मुझसे बहुत नाराज़ है. उसने मुझसे कहा की मैं अच्छा दोस्त नहीं हूँ, मैं प्रतिदिन तुम्हारे दिये हुए फल खाता हूँ, पर कभी भी तुम्हें घर नहीं बुलाया. मेरी पत्नी ने मुझे बोला है की अगर मैं तुम्हें घर ले कर नहीं आया, तो वो मुझे दूसरी दुनिया में ही मिलेगी. यही सारी बातों में मुझे देर हो गया. कृपया, तुम मेरे साथ चलो. मेरी पत्नी ने घर आपको भाए, ऐसा सजाया है. उसने आपकी स्वागत के लिए मुख्य द्वार भी सजाया है. वोह आपके आने का बेसब्री से इंतज़ार कर रही है. "

बन्दर बोला - " अगर भाभी, ऐसा चाहती हैं तो ठीक है मैं आपके साथ जरूर चलूँगा. ( ऐसे लोगों का साथ कभी भी नहीं रखना चाहिए जो पैसे की तरफ खीच जाते हैं जैसे मकड़ी अपने शिकार को खिचता है.)

" लेकिन एक मुश्किल है, मैं ज़मीन पर रहने वाला प्राणी हूँ. मैं आपका नौता नहीं स्वीकार कर सकता. आप अगर भाभी को ही यहाँ ले आयें तो सही रहेगा, " बन्दर बोला.
" इसमें कोई दिक्कत नहीं है" मगरमच्छ बोला. " हमारा घर पानी के किनारे है. वोह बहुत ही सुंदर जगह है. मेरे पीठ पर बैठो मैं आपको ले चलता हूँ."

बन्दर ख़ुशी ख़ुशी मगरमच्छ के पीठ पर बैठ गया और यात्रा शुरु हुई. जब मगरमच्छ गहरे पानी मैं नीचे जाने लगा, तब बन्दर डर गया और मगरमच्छ को बोला धीरे चलने के लिए.

मगरमच्छ ने सोचा की बन्दर तो अब उसका कैदी है, इसलिए वो बन्दर को बोला, "अब मैं तुम्हें बता सकता हूँ, मेरी पत्नी ने बोला की मैं तुम्हारे अंदर बिश्वास जगाऊँ और फिर तुम्हें मार कर तुम्हारा कलेजा ले जा कर उसको दूं.

बुद्धि का प्रोयोग करके, बन्दर ने सोचा की अगर वो  मगरमच्छ को किंनारे तक जाने के लिए राज़ी करले तो उसकी जान बच सकती है. ऐसा सोच कर बन्दर मगरमच्छ को बोला, " मेरे दोस्त, अगेर आप और आपकी पत्नी ऐसा ही चाहते हैं तो आपको पहले ही बताना चाहिये था. मैं तो अपना कलेजा पेड़ पर ही रखता हूँ, अब मुझे बिना कलेजे के ले जा कर क्या करोगे. चलो वापस कहते हैं और कलेजा लेकर फिर भाभीजी के पास चलते हैं". मगरमच्छ को भी बात सही लगी, और वोह ख़ुशी ख़ुशी वापस चल दिये. वापस पहुँचने पर बन्दर जल्दी से पेड़ पर चढ़ गया और सोचने लगा, " हमें किसी भी लोगों पर बिश्वास नहीं करना चाहिए तो बिश्वास के योग्य नहीं है. ऐसा बिश्वास हमें बर्बाद कर देता है. यह मेरा दूसरा जनम है".

मगरमच्छ जल्दी में था और बन्दर को बोला, " समय क्यूँ लग रहा है? अपना कलेजा लो और चलो. मेरी पत्नी खुश हो जाएगी.

बन्दर ने गुस्से में कहा, " बेबकूफ, तुमने किसी को देखा है, जिसके पास २ कलेजा हो? तुम खुदगर्ज हो. मेरी नज़रों के सामने से चले जाओ और फिर कभी इधर मत आना.

उपदेस - कभी भी ऐसे इंसान पर बिश्वास ना करो, जो बिश्वास के योग्य नहीं है, और करना भी पड़े, तो पूरी तरह ना करो, वो तुम्हें पूरी तरह से बर्बाद कर सकते हैं. मुसीबत के समय, ठन्डे दिमाग से उपाय ढूंढना चाहिए.


  • Watch this story here - 

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...